Pages

Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Cookies: Red Velvet

Something I want to become awesome at is baking. I decided to try these Red Velvet Cookies that I found on Sweet Treats and More. The following recipe has slight changes added by me.

1 box red velvet cake mix
1 c. flour
2 sticks butter, softened
1 egg
2 c. white chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a large mixing bowl, or stand mixer, beat butter until soft and fluffy
3. Slowly add cake mix and flour and mix until completely combined.
4. Add egg and mix completely.
5. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Place golf ball-sized balls of dough on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

All of the ingredients.

Finished product.
As you can see, it's not ingredient intensive and very simple to make. I used larger than golf ball sized balls of dough, and I'm not sorry that I did.

I used Sweet Treat's idea of putting ice cream on top and making a sundae out of it, but it looked like poop and so I didn't take a picture. It was tasty, though. Also, I used chocolate ice cream since red velvet is apparently a rare flavor in this area. (I had to go to three different stores before I found a box of red velvet cake mix...forget about finding red velvet ice cream.)

Here's what I learned from this baking experiment:
1) Waiting for butter to soften is painful - set it out before you're ready to bake next time or have something in mind that you can do while waiting.
2) I still have no idea what 'fluffy butter' is supposed to look like.
3) It's okay to only bake 9 cookies at a time rather than 12.
4) If you don't have parchment paper (because it's packed up in a box that you still haven't unpacked yet - or whatever reason) smothering butter on the cookie sheet works just fine.
5) The town I live in is prejudiced against red velvet.
6) I like red velvet cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...