Pages

Monday, 17 September 2012

Redo: Changing Table/Dresser

I never really decided that I wanted to be awesome at redoing used furniture, but I find myself in a situation where I don't have much choice since I can't afford to buy things brand new.

Here is my attempt at trying to redo a dresser I found on Craigslist for $20. The lady told me that it was covered in crayon and that the drawer bottoms would need to be re-glued, and she wasn't kidding. I wish you could see it better in the pictures, but the dresser pieces were hauled into a very confined space before I could properly document them.


I should have taken a picture of inside the cupboard door. White paint was just kind of splashed on the shelves and walls inside.

I don't know why you can't see the crayon all over this drawer.

This wasn't the worst one.
 I know nothing about painting, and I definitely know nothing about fixing drawers. I went to Home Depot and bought sandpaper, dresser knobs, paint that matched the green in the nursery set, a roller brush, and a foam brush for corners and edges.

I spent one day sanding the crap out of the dresser. I spent another day painting and getting really frustrated. Another day was spent on the dresser by my husband to fix my goofs and fix the drawer bottoms. I have no idea what he did.

The final product.

What I learned:
1. I like to watch the paint machines mix colors.
2. Foam brushes are crap for smoothing paint into corners and around edges.
3. My husband is a better painter than I am.
4. Never paint anything outside if you care whether or not crappies float into the paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...