Pages

Friday, 15 February 2013

Holiday: Homemade Valentine's Day Goodie Bag

I'm just not a crafty person. My mom is not a crafty person so I was not taught, and it does not come naturally to me. I am going through some serious educational experiences when it comes to trying to be crafty. Oh, and thinking outside the box when it comes to being romantic on a tight budget. That's been educational as well.

Thanks to this budget I had to crank the wheels this Valentine's Day since I usually just buy something. Thanks to Pinterest and The Dating Divas I think I did my first homemade Valentine's Day just fine.

My first step was making the goodie bag. I found this idea at Twig & Thistle. I imagine you're supposed to buy nice paper bags, but I just used the ones out in the pantry and put them through my parents' HP Officejet printer.

Not quite as cute as the ones on Twig & Thistle.

I then found this fun bedroom memory game on The Dating Divas.

I printed the free printable out on cream card stock, and for some reason some of them got cut off so not all of the cards ended up being the exact same size.

4 pages of the backs, 4 pages of the fronts.
I used a paper cutter and cut all of the squares out, which was a little bit tricky because some of them got cut off and/or didn't print in straight columns or rows. Perhaps if you try this you'll have better luck at getting them to print looking exactly as they do on screen.

All of my fronts and backs.
 I then had to take more time than I would have liked trying to match like-sized fronts and backs and taping them together to create the pieces. Once they were all together I decided to leave the blank cards blank so that we can change what they'll be depending on where we play the game. This meant it was time to laminate them.

Love this little machine.
Once they were laminated I tried to cut them as equally as possibly and then had a little deck of bedroom memory game cards.

I placed the cards in the Valentine's Day Goodie Bag along with some fudgy brownie cookies I made using the recipe from Tasty Kitchen.

His Valentine's Day gift.
It wasn't perfect, but it was nice and my hubby seemed to appreciate it.

What I Learned:
1. I really like The Dating Divas.
2. I have no idea how to fix PDFs that aren't printing correctly.
3. Even to do things homemade requires a bit of money.
4. I want a laminator.
5. I'm only crafty when I copy what someone else has already done.
6. I need to start crafts at least a couple of weeks before I want them - otherwise I get stressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...