Pages

Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Sweets: Key Lime Parfaits

I have a really big thing for Key Lime, and pretty much lime anything. In contrast, my husband has an aversion to all things lime. Consequently, I don't do much with limes in this house, but I couldn't resist trying this Key Lime Parfait recipe once I realized I just happened to have everything I needed to make it when our neighbors gave us a bag full of limes. Whoo!

Please click here to view the original recipe from Just a Pinch.

First we make the

Graham Cracker Crumble
3 T unsalted butter
2 T sugar
1 T light brown sugar
1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs

1. Melt butter in heavy skillet.
2. Mix in sugars and stir until bubbling.
3. Mix in graham cracker crumbs and stir until color deepens.
4. Turn out onto plate and cool.

Ingredients for Graham Cracker Crumble. Mine came out
 incredibly crunchy - next time I'll take it off the skillet sooner.

Then we make the

Key Lime Cream*
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. fresh lime juice
1 T. grated lime peel
1 c. sweetened whipped cream

1) Blend condensed milk, lime juice, and peel together in large bowl until mixture thickens.
2) Set aside while you make sweetened whipped cream.
3) When sweetened whipped cream is done, fold in 1 cup to key lime cream mixture.

Ingredients minus the whipped cream. I used the tiny
 zester on the side of my grater for the peel. The
mixture thickened up nicely after a few minutes of blending.

Lastly, we make the

Sweetened Whipped Cream
2 c. chilled whipping cream.
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1 t vanilla

1. Beat whipping cream in frozen bowl with frozen beaters until firm peaks begin to form.
2. Add powdered sugar and vanilla.
3. Beat again until stiff peaks form.

Ingredients for sweetened whipped cream.
This was the longest part of the process.

Finally, we get to put it all together.

Key Lime Parfaits
graham cracker crumble
key lime cream
sweetened whipped cream

1. Place 1/4 c. key lime cream into parfait cup.
2. Top with 1 T graham cracker crumble.
3. Alternate until cup is full making sure top layer is the graham cracker crumble.
4. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
5. Serve with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream on top.

The final, delicious product. 
It was heavenly! Seriously, it was so, so, so good. Even though I was the only one eating it I made four parfait cups, and I finished all four of them before I went to bed that night. I didn't feel a titch of guilt. I used the remaining ingredients to make a key lime pie. It was a little scant since I had used half of it in parfaits, but still extremely tasty.

*I added a few drops of green food coloring so it wasn't all so white.

What I Learned:
1. Key Lime is very easy to make.
2. I have a zester on my cheese grater.
3. It takes a long time for stiff peaks to come.
4. I need to put my graham cracker crumble on the stove for less time.
5. I can eat a lot of Key Lime in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...