- Print outs of creation days (click link at end of lesson)
- Printed poem (or device to read it from)
- Display board/magnetic white board or chalkboard
- Coloring picture
Why We Have the Sabbath Day
Song: Remember the Sabbath Day, Children's Songbook, pg. 155
Scripture: Exodus 20:8-11 - "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."
- What do you know about how the earth began?
- Lay the pictures of the creation out where the kids can see them all. Make sure they are not in any particular order. Explain to them you are going to read a poem about the creation. They should find each picture that corresponds with each day of the creation and place them in order on the display board as you read. (If your children are younger, stop between each day to allow them time to find the pictures. If your children are older you might decide to read the entire poem first, then have them place the pictures in order to see how good their memory is)
- Read: The Creation by Lisa Phipps (Friend, January 2005)
- On the first day God said, "Let there be light,"
And He separated the day and night.
On the second day God created sky.
He painted it blue with clouds floating by.
On the third day God made the land and seas.
He added green grass, bright flowers, and trees.
On the fourth day God made stars twinkle bright.
He made the moon for a little more light.
On the fifth day God made owls, ducks, and larks.
He filled the sea with whales, dolphins, and sharks.
On the sixth day God made creatures on land
Like deer, frogs, dogs, zebras, woman, and man.
On the seventh day God said all was blessed.
He smiled happily and took a rest.
- What did Heavenly Father do on the seventh day?
- What do we call the seventh day?
- Refer back to the scripture read (reread it if necessary): What has Heavenly asked us to do on the Sabbath day?
- Why do you think the Sabbath day is important?
- Optional Activity: Brainstorm ideas for Sabbath day activities and write them on the board.
Creation Pictures Link - I only used the pictures for the seven days of creation by cutting out the circles and discarding the words. Making each child their own Creation Minibook using this link instead of doing the coloring page might be a great alternative for an ending activity depending on age.
*P.S. Remember to begin and end each FHE with a prayer.