Pages

Tuesday 26 January 2016

Books: 2015 Reads

So, I did a terrible job of tracking the books I read throughout 2015. Seriously, I only noted two, and I can't recall the rest because 'mom brain.' Here are my thoughts on the two books that I did note...

Swiss Family Robinson
Johann Wyss


Um, funny and also boring. Also educational. I didn't love it, but I would probably read it out loud to my kids someday. It was interesting to read about their adventures, but it also felt like it was the same story over and over again just with different foods or animals. The movie is definitely much more exciting. Plus, Fritz is a hunk. 

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
Laura Hillenbrand


I don't even know where to start on this one. It made me laugh, it made me angry, it made me want to cry. I tend to be very sensitive to true war stories; they make me feel sick and upset more often than not. I did experience that with this book, but not to the degree that I was unable to finish it. 

Ultimately, the book is uplifting. It truly is amazing to see what Louis and fellow POWs survived, and to see that some of them made it through with their characters in tact, even though the wounds received, in every aspect, left permanent scars. It's when I'm trying to write about books like Unbroken that I curse myself for not being more eloquent. I am sure there is a wonderful book review out there somewhere that can convince you to read this book.

The funny thing about this, is that out of all the material in that book, what stuck with me the most was that Louis Zamperini learned to skateboard in his 70s. I'm in my late 20s, and I have days where I am convinced that I'll never be better than I am at any skill I've wanted to have because I'm too old. I'm past my prime for learning to be good at something. Not true. If a 70-something can hop on a skateboard and succeed, I can achieve my ballroom-dancing-master-baking-DIY-ing dreams. Thank you for teaching me a life lesson amongst other things, Louis. You're a hero.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...